-
February 19th, 2010, 04:56 AM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
Couldn't pass them up.....
I just got these yesterday. Too good a deal to pass up. I hooked them up to a Crest FA 601 amp and they sounded pretty good. Good dynamics and they play loud but with a little harshness at times with the vocals. I turned the attenuator down to about 30% on the n800 crossover and that helped. Then I connected them to an old Proton (DPD) amp and the sound smoothed out fairly well and I ended up turning the attenuator back up to about 50%. Overall, I was very pleased with the sound quality. Not quite as good as my mod. 19s, but not bad at all for what I think of as the live sound! I originally got these for the drivers to do a project but now I think I'll just refinish the cabs and elevate them a foot or two on stands.
Now for a couple of questions. The crossovers are n800-8k model 846U. Does anyone know if these crossovers are original and if so, the approximate age of the speakers or the years the speakers might have been produced? I looked up 846A's and they seem to use a 511b horn instead of the 811b. Any comments in comparing the two? Thanks in advance!
-
February 19th, 2010, 05:09 AM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Couldn't pass them up.....
Sorry, my photo attachments don't seem to want to upload.
I'll try again later.
-
February 19th, 2010, 01:37 PM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Couldn't pass them up.....

OK, I think this will work.
One photo to follow.
-
February 19th, 2010, 01:40 PM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Couldn't pass them up.....

Finally!
-
February 19th, 2010, 03:09 PM
#5
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Couldn't pass them up.....
Those beauties appear to be Valencias (846B) ported bass reflex speakers. I have a pair I bought new in 1975. The original version I have use the 811 horn like the ones you have as well as the N800, 800Hz crossovers. Also the 806 compression drivers and 416 woofers. I believe they are the predecessors to the model 19.
I have enjoyed the sound of mine for many years. I know there are improvements that can be made but, they are a fine speaker in my opinion.
-
February 19th, 2010, 03:41 PM
#6
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Couldn't pass them up.....
According to the Altec Library (1974) the 846U is an 846B (valencia) with an unfinished birch cabinet--the "U" stands for unfinished. To answer your two questions,
(1) the N-800-8K that you have is the stock crossover for the Valencia 846U,
(2) They were made (the 846U series) around 1974 give or take a year or so.
By the way, you are mistaken about the 846A. It uses an 811b horn, not a 511b.....As far as your question about comparing the two, the 846A is 16 ohms, and the 846U is 8 ohms. the 846A uses the N800F crossover and 416Z woofer, 806A h.f. driver (some had an 807), 811B horn--basically a 16 ohm version of the speakers you just bought....
-
February 19th, 2010, 03:47 PM
#7
HB Super Moderator
Re: Couldn't pass them up.....
I was going to say the same thing Marv,they look like Valencias and if they have N800 crossovers then they should have the H811 horn which they are.Very Nice indeed the only differance from the model 19 I think is the HF rolls off alittle quicker around 13 khz I think.They look to be in nice shape nice score :2thumbsup:
-
February 19th, 2010, 06:42 PM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Couldn't pass them up.....
-
February 20th, 2010, 05:58 PM
#9
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Couldn't pass them up.....
Thanks for the replys.
These speakers were so dusty, I took all the drivers out. Then I opened up the compression drivers and cleaned everything up.
As you predicted.... 806-8a 8ohm, 811b, and 416-8z 8ohm. The cabinets have a veneer on them.
And you were right "voice of the theater", I was looking at the specs. for the 9846-8a. Thanks again for the info!
-
February 20th, 2010, 07:02 PM
#10
Senior Hostboard Member
Re: Couldn't pass them up.....
That's a great lo0king 806-811 combo. Looks like new!
I really like the 806 on the 811 horn. Sounds good to me. And the 416 will go very nicely with it. You should be a happy guy!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks